The Cricut Machine can cut over 100 craft materials, but which one is right for you? I’ve listed all my favorite features of both the Cricut Maker and Cricut Explore Air 2 so you can make the right decision for you.
I have left off the other Explore models because I feel like these two machines are the best choices, but if your budget doesn’t allow for the Maker or Explore Air 2, check out the Explore Air and Explore One. Still great machines, but do not have as many features.
I use my machines for many my crafts on Printable Crush. The Cricut Maker is my machine of choice because I work with fabric and thicker materials like wood. I also really love the scoring wheel feature and am looking forward to working with the new Maker tools.
Not sure if you want to go with a Cricut Machine or Silhouette? Check out my favorite features of the Silhouette Cameo 4.
But before you decide, check out the lists of all the Cricut machine features below.
Cricut Machine Comparison
|FEATURES||EXPLORE AIR 2||CRICUT MAKER|
|Cuts 100 popular craft materials||YES||YES|
|Cuts 300+ popular craft materials||YES||YES|
|Bluetooth® wireless technology||YES||YES|
|Double tool holder||YES||YES|
|Up to 2X faster cutting and writing2||YES||YES|
|Writes on material with Cricut Pens||NO||YES|
|Scores multiple paper products||NO||YES|
|Rotary Blade for fabrics||NO||YES|
|Knife Blade for thicker materials1||NO||YES|
|Scoring Wheels1 for sharp folds||NO||YES|
|Engraving Tip1 for engraved effects||NO||YES|
|Fine Debossing Tip1 for debossed designs||NO||YES|
|Wavy Blade1 for fun wavy edges||NO||YES|
|Basic Perforation Blade1 for tear-offs & peel-aways||NO||YES|
|10X more power to cut hundreds more materials||NO||YES|
|Expandable suite of tools||NO||YES|
2Fast Mode works with popular materials including vinyl, iron-on, and cardstock.
Bottom line, if you only plan to work with materials like paper, card stock, vinyl or iron-on (plus many other materials like faux leather and Cricut Felt), The Cricut Explore Air 2 will be a great machine for you.
Plus, the Explore Air 2 comes in some pretty fabulous colors.
Check out these Cricut Explore Air 2 Projects:
- Glitter and felt bow tutorial – made with Cricut felt, which is a thinner material and perfect for use with the Cricut Explore Air 2.
- Custom Holiday Coasters – made with Cricut Infusible Ink.
- Layered Iron-On T-shirts – made with Glitter and Everyday Iron-On.
If you want the added features of cutting fabric, thicker felt, basswood, or you would like to take advantage of the scoring wheel, perforation blade, engraving tool, wavy blade and embossing tools, the Maker is the right Cricut machine for you.
Check out these Cricut Maker Projects:
- Toy Car Tutorial – with the Cricut Scoring Wheel
- Photo Props – made with Chipboard.
- Cake Topper – made with the Cricut Knife Blade.
- How to make Felt Roses – made with the Cricut Rotary Blade.
Check out these other fun Craft Tutorials!
- Want to know your Crafty Personality Type? Take the Crafty Personality Quiz!
- Which Cricut Machine Should I Get?
- Everything you need to know about the Silhouette Cameo 4
- The BEST Craft Adhesives on the Market
- Which Cricut EasyPress 2 Should I Buy?